This toolkit was designed to support a facilitated, integrated approach to water planning for individual farm operations.
The toolkit was intended to:
- Be applicable to many farm types
- Address a spectrum of water management issues, including considerations related to climate change
- Result in an individual farm plan for water management
The farm water planning process includes:
- Reviewing current water resources, systems and practices on the farm
- Analyzing significant water issues and opportunities
- Identifying practical strategies to address issues, take advantage of opportunities, and build resilience for the future
Toolkit modules cover: water supply, storage, drainage, water quality and water use.
The toolkit was first developed through a pilot project in the Cowichan Valley in 2016. A second phase of testing and refinement occurred in the Okanagan in 2017, and results are detailed in a summary report.