This report summarizes current approaches to irrigation management and technology in the Okanagan wine grape industry.
Interviews with growers and other experts provided information about the current state of irrigation water tracking and the use of water saving tools and technologies. Information on practices and technologies was also gathered from experts in other jurisdictions, including California and Australia.
Based on this research, the report documents the current state of knowledge and technology and makes recommendations in three key areas:
- Water use tracking and feedback
- Capturing existing knowledge and building grower information exchange
- Capturing the full cost of water
Case studies of innovative practices and technologies are included in the report’s appendices.
A series of three fact sheets were also created to communicate key information to wine grape growers:
- Tools to validate irrigation decision-making in vineyards
- How to measure water use, cost in vineyards
- Efficient water use in establishing and maintaining vineyards
The project also developed a water efficiency calculator.